After a concussion, sleep patterns are often affected. Some become tired more easily, while others have difficulty falling asleep.
- Fixed bedtime and awakening time
- Avoid napping more than 30-45 minutes
- Avoid alcohol, caffeine and heavy, spicy or sugary foods 4-6 hours before bedtime
Improve your sleeping environment by:
- Comfortable bedding and temperature
- Block out distracting noise and light
- Reserve bed for sleep and sex
- Practice relaxation techniques
- Try a light snack
- Establish a pre-sleep ritual
- Do not take worries to bed
- If you do not fall asleep within 15-30 minutes, leave the bedroom until sleepy
The goal is to rediscover how to sleep naturally.